Founded in 1993, Blossom Trust is a grassroots NGO based in the district of Virudhunagar, Tamil Nadu, India. With the initial focus on the social and economic empowerment of underprivileged women and a safe and nurturing space for vulnerable children, over time, we have committed to creating a strong foundation for sustainable community ownership. We believe that women have the capabilities to build resilient communities as the pillars of development; therefore, we strongly invest in the empowerment of these women through three main activities. Firstly, by establishing community-based organisations and networks which are primarily women-led. This allows a collective action and collaboration to be at the forefront of our interventions, with higher success. Secondly, through advocacy and awareness-raising, as we strongly believe that everyone has the right to access information. Knowledge empowerment plays a profound role in community development and allows women in the community to make well-informed decisions for themselves and their households. Thirdly, we train and invest in women to develop their skills allowing them to thrive further. With our vision, mission and Theory of Change in mind, we have a strong commitment towards women empowerment and community development.
Find out more about our projects on our website: https://www.blossomtrust.org
What we are looking for
Blossom Trust is seeking a highly motivated Project Coordinator Intern to help us target regional growth opportunities for our services, develop strategies, and implement various projects in line with our goals in Tamil Nadu. We are looking for someone with a basic knowledge of the project life-cycle to support the development of agricultural proposals targeting marginalized rural populations in India. At the moment our priority projects are in agriculture and environmental development with a focus on the empowerment of women and girls. Any specific experience in these areas is preferred but not required.
As we are a local NGO with resource limitations, candidates must be flexible and ready to take on other responsibilities as needed. Candidates will work in a small team but will need to be able to work autonomously with minimal supervision.
As Project Coordinator you will be part of the team that is in charge of developing new projects, overseeing the current running projects and the evaluation of completed projects. Tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Contextual research: Identify gaps and possible opportunities in the region. To develop a proposal, you must familiarize yourself with the foundation’s goals and with our project’s financial needs. You will need to stay up to date on current best practices in the development field.
- Planning: Develop and track internal calendar of proposal deadlines for applying, monitor and evaluation of community impact and report findings to stakeholders.
- Report Writing: Prepare concept papers, letters of inquiry, donor reports, proposals and project outlines
- Monitoring and Evaluation: Monitoring and evaluating projects success and making the necessary changes, researching successful project implementation methods and incorporating them
- Donor relations: Support Fundraising and Office Communications Coordinator in creating and maintaining crowdfunding projects and communication strategies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree. Ideally in International Relations, Development Studies, Sustainability, or any other related field.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the project cycle.
- Highly developed organisational, time management, and communication skills.
- Skilled in Microsoft Word, Excel and Google Drive
- Strong writing and research skills
- Effective team player with the ability to work and think independently while being resourceful and proactive.
- Adaptable, patient, respectful of diversity and cultural differences
- Proficiency in English
- Masters degree in International Relations, Development Studies, Sustainable Agriculture, or any other related field
- A proven track record of project and financial management of grant-funded programs/
- Proficiency in Tamil.
- Previous experience working and living in India.
The successful candidate will be primarily based in Virudhunagar, Tamil Nadu. Our team works on a full-time basis from 10:00 pm – 6:00 pm Monday to Saturday. Your work schedule is flexible depending on you and your time management skills. We ask for a minimum commitment of 6 months, starting ASAP. Longer stays are welcome, please state your preference in the cover letter. Due to the nature of this work, we particularly encourage qualified women to apply.
- 3,000 Rupees per month.
- 2 simple meals a day 6 days a week & basic accommodation.
How to apply
Please send a CV along with a cover letter explaining your interest in the position and your intended period of stay to Josien van der Kooij at [email protected] before the 9th of April 2021. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis, so we encourage you to apply early.