Hedayah was established in 2012 as the International Center of Excellence for Countering Violent Extremism (CVE). It serves as the premier international institution for capacity building, dialogue and communication, and research to counter violent extremism in all of its forms and manifestations, in support of long-term, global efforts to prevent and counter-terrorism.
The Center’s mandate focuses on three core areas:
Dialogue and Communications: Collaborates with national and local actors, CSOs, researchers, and community leaders to foster dialogue, create messaging campaigns, as well as expertise in developing and implementing communications strategies.
Capacity Building Programs: Conducts collaborative training and builds practical tools to enhance the capacities of government and non-government partners to design and implement effective policies, programs, and projects to counter violent extremism.
Research and Analysis: Collects and delivers CVE knowledge resources as well as conducts and commissions new research to gain a deeper understanding of the drivers of violent extremism, and which approaches are effective in countering it.
The Research and Analysis Department will be assessing the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on terrorism and violent extremism in four regions: West Africa/Sahel, East/Horn of Africa, South East Asia and the Balkans. The Project Coordinator will remotely lead a team of four consultants to systematically collect data on this subject, to include statistical data (health, economic, education, security) and tracking of Violent Extremism (VE) and terrorist narratives and methods over the course of the pandemic. The Project Coordinator will ensure the data is collected and collated into regular analytical reports (July 2021 and October 2021), with a global report to be produced by the end of the year (December 2021). The Project Coordinator will also coordinate the development of a microsite to disseminate the information collected, attached to Hedayah’s website, and ensure the data is appropriately uploaded to the site on a regular basis.
· Coordinate the research and data collection with four regional experts in alignment with the project plan, deliverables and milestones;
· Ensure quality control over data collected by four regional experts;
· Coordinate the production of regular analytical reports for each of the four regions (July 2021, October 2021), as well as a global analytical report to be produced by December 2021;
· Edit analytical reports (at least eight regional and one global) from four regional experts;
· Be the main point of contact and manage the relationship with the website designer to produce the microsite;
· Coordinate the launch of the microsite (July 2021) and updates to the microsite (December 2021) with developer and Hedayah team;
· Upload and import the data to the microsite;
· Submit regular reports to the Project Manager on the progress of the activities.
· At least 3 years of related professional experience and expertise in program management or research management in a related field, with preference given to those having experience in counterterrorism or countering violent extremism;
· Experience coordinating projects that include technical products such as websites or phone applications;
· Familiarity with data visualization tools and software (e.g. Excel, Tableau);
· Area knowledge or language skills from Southeast Asia, the Balkans, East Africa or West Africa/Sahel is a plus.
M.A./M.S. in International Development, International Relations, Defence, Security and/or Counter-Terrorism/CVE Studies, Peace Studies, Sociology or related field; OR a Bachelor’s degree with an additional 2 years of practical experience.
· Fluent in oral and written English;
· Demonstrated ability to work on projects that involve data consolidation through quantitative and qualitative research methods;
· Ability to communicate effectively with diverse stakeholders including government officials, policymakers, community leaders and actors, NGOs, practitioners, and experts;
· Able to work independently, as well as within a team;
· Demonstrated organizational skills and ability to meet deadlines under pressure;
· Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite and video conferencing such as WebEx.
· Part-time and home-based consultancy for a maximum duration of 9 months. Working days will be limited;
· The recruit shall start ASAP (April 2021 preferred);
· The consultancy contract will be deliverable-based, with the expectation that the consultant will also regularly coordinate on a weekly basis for the project.
How to apply
Send a 1-page cover letter, a 2-3 page resume, and a 1-page summary of a past project you have managed to email@example.com no later than 13 April 2021 with the following subject: “Project Coordinator, Research and Analysis.” The 1-page summary of a past project should include the following: