The German Red Cross (GRC) is part of a worldwide community assisting victims of conflicts and disasters and people affected by social or health related crises. The Red Cross / Red Crescent Movement provides vulnerable people with assistance without discrimination as to nationality, race, religious beliefs, class or political opinions and adheres to the seven Fundamental Principles of the Movement: Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary Service, Unity and Universality. The German Red Cross assists in disaster response, rehabilitation and capacity building projects on appeals of their sister organisations within the Movement.
GRC is currently seeking an experienced Project Manager (m/f/d) responsible for implementing the programme for GRC in Iraq together with the Iraqi Red Crescent Society (IRCS). The GRC started supporting the IRCS in its relief activities in September 2014. Currently, a relief project, financed by the German Federal Foreign Office, is implemented, activities focus on addressing emergency needs of the affected population with multi- purpose cash assistance. Additionally, this project complements the relief activities with community-based integrated program components to strengthen the resilience and DRR capacities with enhanced Capacity Building measures for IRCS. Furthermore, a project financed by the BMZ is planned to focus on livelihoods and strengthening of resilience. This is an unaccompanied position.
Starting date: 01.06.2021
Duration: 12 months with possible extension
Location: Dohuk with frequent travel to Mosul, Erbil and other regions of Iraq
Main duties & responsibilities:
- Ensure planning, implementation and MEAL of all activities and program components of the GRC intervention in Iraq together with IRCS.
- Jointly with the IRCS, adjust and implement the relief activities (using cash- and/or in-kind distribution modalities) of the response program in Iraq according to the needs and vulnerabilities, taking carefully into consideration a comprehensive approach to the activities.
- Reporting (donor quarterly and final narrative reports and other project progress reports.
- Ensure that project funds are being used and reported against in compliance with internal and external frameworks and guidelines such as GRC procedures, donor regulations and legal considerations.
- Represent the GRC in relevant clusters and networks and coordinate with other movement partners as well as relevant humanitarian actors and stakeholders
- In close coordination with Head of Office
o Support the management and administration of field office (currently in Dohuk)
o Support security management
- Provision of technical and managerial support, objective setting, performance management and personal development of Project Officers of national team
- Contribute to internal and external communication and visibility of the project activities
- Develop new project concept notes/proposals and contribute to the application process to various donors
- Support the development of GRC’s country strategy for Iraq
Required Competencies & Skills:
- At least 3 years’ experience in the field of emergency relief, humanitarian assistance, and/or recovery, with particular focus on community-based integrated programming
- Proven experience in relevant sectors / response modalities e.g. CVA and in-kind distributions in an emergency context, capacity building, livelihoods (vocational trainings and business skills trainings, cash for work activities) etc.
- Proven experience in project and budget management
- Experience in community-based Disaster Risk Reduction
- Proven Experience working with local partners
- Proven Experience in MEAL and reporting, beneficiary communication, complaint mechanisms, beneficiary selection
- Excellent communication skills, problem-solving skills and intercultural sensitivity, including managing expectations of different stakeholders in a balanced and diplomatic manner
- Previous experience of working for the Red Cross / Red Crescent Movement an asset
- Willingness to work in a complex, insecure and dynamic environment and awareness and acceptance of the risks associated with this mission;
- Experience in working with different donors (preferably German Ministries, ECHO, etc.);
- Oral and written fluency in English is a requirement; German and/or Arabic is a strong asset, Kurdish language is an asset
- Ability and agreement to adhere to the Red Cross Red Crescent Fundamental Principles
- Ability to complete a thorough medical screening process ‘working abroad under specific climate and health conditions’
- Valid Driving Licence
- Cultural sensitivity, underpinned by substantial working experience outside her/his home country
What we offer you:
You will be part of a highly motivated professional and multicultural team. We offer you a compensation package according to the collective employment agreement of the GRC, an expatriation allowance during your mission as well as the accommodation to cover your accommodation. In addition to a full insurance package GRC is covering a home flight within a 12-months period of assignment. You will benefit from a comprehensive training package and receive briefings and coaching prior as well as during and after your mission. Medical check-ups and Psychosocial Support Service are included in your assignment.
How to apply
Kindly apply by submitting your application by using the GRC online application system DRK HR net (https://drkhrnet.de) until 11.04.2021.
Please indicate Ref. No. 2021-038 with your application.