Vétérinaires Sans Frontières Germany (VSF Germany) is an International Non-Governmental Organization (INGO) providing humanitarian aid and development assistance to pastoralists and vulnerable communities in areas where livestock is of importance. VSF Germany supports livestock and agricultural production systems, marketing, food safety, drought responses and mitigation, capacity development of communities and governmental institutions, peace and conflict resolution. The desired impact of VSF Germany interventions is to increase agricultural and livestock productivity as well as related incomes; and subsequent improvements of food security and livelihoods for millions of people in the countries of operation in the Greater Horn of Africa. Countries programs are designed to deliver integrated programing solutions that address the key challenges and needs that enable our beneficiary groups, particularly men, women, the youth and other disadvantaged and marginalized groups to access skills, opportunities and resources that contribute to the improvement of their productive lives and development of communities. VSF Germany currently implements activities in Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, Sudan, South Sudan, and Uganda.
Vétérinaires sans Frontières – Germany (VSF-G) in partnership with Catholic Relief Services (CRS) are implementing a project titled “Pathways to Resilience Project (P2R)” in the two States of Jonglei, and Eastern Equatoria covering a total of 5 counties (Duk, Akobo, Pibor Budi and Kapoeta North counties). The intervention aims to ensure that there is improved and sustained food and Nutrition security amongst the targeted rural communities for the two States, South Sudan. This will be achieved through ensuring that food and nutrition insecure communities have improved resilience to conflict and climate stressors / shocks as well as having better livelihood sources
Contract duration will be 12 months (with possibility of extension dependant on performance/ or funding). This position is based in Torit with travels to Jonglei State.
ROLE OF THE POSITION
The position is responsible for the execution of the P2R project with the ultimate achievement of the overall and specific objective of the action as stipulated in its logical framework, guided by the descriptive project theory, and supported by efficacious employment of project resources.
These positions are based in Bor and Torit VSF-Germany offices with travels to field locations in the Payams of the 2 Counties. The post holders will be responsible for successful implementation of Pathways to Resilience Project (P2R) Project
The position holders will be based in Torit in Eastern Equatoria State (1 PO) and Bor in Jonglei State (1 PO) in direct support to the Project manager. Coordination and transit office is located in located in Juba and Bor respectively.
Duties & Responsibilities
Program (Project) implementation:
- Assist the Project Manager in the implementation and management of P2R project.
- Regularly, review performance of staff under line management (conduct work/Development Plan meeting, mid-term review, end-term review and provide regular feedback)
- Support Field Extension assistants in mobilizing and organizing the community to participate in the project activities.
- Responsible for conducting monitoring of project activities
- Identify and form fishery-based producer groups (FBPGs)
- Train FEAs on improved fishing methods, post-harvest handling and processing
- Train FBPG members on improved fishing methods, post-harvest handling and processing.
- Train livestock officers, LFEA and CAWHs on disease diagnosis and treatment (competence, emerging diseases, One Health)
- Link CAWHs with agro-vet suppliers including pipeline for FAO
- Conduct assessment on livestock condition, availability, needs, markets, and feasibility of restocking
- Train restocking participants on improved livestock husbandry, nutrition, and health management practices
- Facilitate beneficiaries’ purchase of livestock on credit through livestock fairs
- Provide leadership and empowerment training for women’s livestock producer group members.
- Train livestock officers and LFEAs on ruminant husbandry, nutrition, and health (Competence, Emerging diseases, One Health)
- Prepare activity budgets to support activity implementation in the communities.
- Prepare and submit monthly activities cash needs.
- Prepare cash requests/advance for activities to be signed by budget holder.
- Facilitate the procurement of livestock inputs
- Prepare and submit monthly activities report to the Project Manager for consolidation.
- Support on various key sector assessments (Both internal and external) and reporting.
- Document various lessons learnt of the project activities under supervision.
- On request of the PM, participate in P2R review workshops.
- Involve and inform communities and community leaders about the activities
- Liaise with other Project on matters concerning the project and VSF-Germany
- Support the PM in representing VSF Germany in FSL forums.
- Field data collection for baseline survey and evaluation, surveys and assessments.
- Support on external assessments organized by VSF Germany and or other external actors relevant to the project.
- Perform any other duty as assigned by Line Manager
a. Bachelor’s degree related to development studies, social sciences, project management, planning, and disaster response.
b. Articulate in livelihood support in South Sudan;
c. Articulate in project support, development planning and capacity building in South Sudan;
d. Functional understanding of the Food Security & Livelihoods Cluster in South Sudan;
e. Functional understanding of the Food Security & Livelihoods indicators;
f. Peace building and Conflict resolution competency;
g. Demonstrated experience on USAID and other UN donor-supported projects
h. Proficiency in Management Finance;
i. Proficiency in employment of project logic systems.
- At least 3 years of practice in the Jonglei State and Eastern Equatoria;
- Know-how of Governance systems in South Sudan;
- At least 3 years of involvement in USAID type project.
How to apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit an application letter and CV plus 3 names of referees (one of them being their immediate supervisor) with their full contacts to: via email address to HR & Administration, VSF Germany, via Email: [email protected] or [email protected]. Applications can also be hand delivered to the VSF Germany, Juba offices No. 74 Block AXIII, Hai Malakal Residential Area, Juba; Tel +211 929 233 454 or +211 923 478 424 (located across UAP Equatoria Tower, alongside Cambridge Training Centre, & opposite Finance SS). Include the current and expected remuneration package. Indicate the job Title “Project Officer-P2R” on the envelope or the Subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews. Closing date for receiving applications is 31th March 2021, before 12:00 am midnight. This is a national position. Qualified females are highly encouraged to apply. Shortlisting will be on a rolling basis.