The Pacific Community (SPC) is the principal scientific and technical organisation in the Pacific region, supporting development since 1947. We are an international development organisation owned and governed by our 26 country and territory members. In pursuit of sustainable development to benefit Pacific people, our organisation works across more than 20 sectors. We are known for our knowledge and innovation in such areas as fisheries science, public health surveillance, geoscience, and conservation of plant genetic resources for food and agriculture.
The Land Resources Division (LRD) provides advice, technical assistance, research and training support to Pacific Island countries and territories (PICTs) on all aspects of agriculture and forestry. This includes plant protection, conservation, plant genetic resources, animal health and production, agroforestry, biosecurity and trade facilitation, and sustainable systems for agriculture, forestry and land management. This work has two objectives: improved food and nutritional security and resilient communities. The division’s services are provided through seven technical/thematic teams: Animal Health and Production; Plant Health; Biosecurity and Trade Facilitation; Forest and Agriculture Diversification; Crop Production and Extension; Genetic Resources; and Forests and Trees.
The Project Technician – Engineered Wood Products will provide technical assistance and support with the sustainable forests and landscape management activities with particular focus on the manufacturing of engineered wood products from coconut and non-traditional forest resources.
The key responsibilities of the role include the following:
- Project support, including monitoring and reporting
- Provide technical advice on regional and national Sustainable Forests and Landscapes activities
- Awareness and Communications on Sustainable Forests and Landscapes activities
For a more detailed account of the key responsibilities, please refer to the job description provided.
Key selection criteria
- A diploma in forestry, wood science or related field with 3 years of experience in wood processing or engineered wood product manufacture.
Knowledge and experience
- At least 5 years of experience in forestry, wood science and technology, or wood manufacturing
- Experience in working with Pacific region Government representatives and international sector partners
- Experience in the private sector specifically in coconut palm processing, wood science, engineered wood products and related investments is an advantage
- Excellent English communication skills (oral and written)
Interpersonal skills and cultural awareness
- Ability to work in a multicultural, inclusive and equitable environment
Salary, terms and conditions
Contract Duration – 3 years
Remuneration – This is a full-time Band 7 position in SPC’s 2021 salary scale, with a commencing taxable salary range of 2,232-2,790 per month, plus local staff benefits. An offer of appointment for an initial contract will be made in the lower half of this range, with due consideration given to experience and qualifications. Progression within the salary scale will be based on annual performance reviews.
Recruitment principles – SPC’s recruitment is based on merit and fairness, and candidates are competing in a selection process that is fair, transparent and non-discriminatory. SPC is an equal-opportunity employer, and is committed to cultural and gender diversity, including bilingualism, and will seek to attract and appoint candidates who respect these values. Due attention is given to gender equity and the maintenance of strong representation from Pacific Island professionals. If two interviewed candidates are ranked equal by the selection panel, preference will be given to the Pacific Islander.
How to apply
Closing Date – 12 April 2021 – 11:45pm Fiji time
Applicants must apply online at: http://careers.spc.int/
Hard copies of applications will not be accepted.
To be considered for this role, you must provide us with:
- an updated resume
- a cover letter detailing your skills, experience and interest in this position
- responses to all screening questions
Please ensure your documents are in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format.
Applicants should not attach copies of qualifications or letters of reference. These documents may be requested at a later stage.
Please ensure that you respond to all of the screening questions. If you do not respond to the screening questions, your application will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed at shortlisting stage.**
Only Fijian citizens are eligible to apply for this role.
- What are some of the potential benefits that manufacturing engineered wood products from senile coconut palms have to coconut farmers, the environment and the broader community.
- Explain some of the challenges in rotary veneer processing senile coconut palms and manufacturing engineered wood products from the resulting veneer.
- Discuss some possible opportunities and constraints of forest products value chain in Fiji