Vital Strategies, headquartered in New York City, is an international public health organization. Our programs strengthen public health systems and address the world’s leading causes of illness, injury and death. We currently work in 73 countries, supporting data-driven decision making in government, advancing evidence-based public health policies and mounting strategic communication campaigns. Vital Strategies’ priorities are driven by the greatest potential to improve and save lives. They include non-communicable disease prevention, cardiovascular health promotion, tobacco control, road safety, obesity prevention, epidemic prevention, overdose prevention, environmental health, vital statistics systems building and multidrug-resistant tuberculosis treatment research. Our programs are primarily concentrated in low- and middle-income countries in Africa, Latin America, Asia and the Pacific; the Overdose Prevention Program is our first initiative in the U.S. Please visit our website at www.vitalstrategies.org to find out more about our work.
Terms of Reference
Title: Rapid Mortality Surveillance Epidemiology Consultant
Contract Duration: 4-6 months
Start Date: April 19, 2021
Application deadline: April 9, 2021
In March 2020, Vital Strategies, led by Resolve to Save Lives, formed a COVID-19 Incident Management System to control and mitigate the spread of the novel coronavirus in vulnerable low- and middle-income countries and the United States. As part of these efforts, the Data for Health Initiative worked with over 10 countries to implement rapid mortality surveillance to gain insights into the impact of COVID-19 in their population.
The Epidemiology Consultant will work with the Bloomberg Philanthropies Data for Health Initiative team to develop global resources and to provide country-level technical guidance in the analysis, interpretation and use of excess mortality analysis.
- Review existing global resources on excess mortality analysis.
- Produce an analytic framework and related resources to guide country-level analysis.
- Work with Vital Strategies team and government staff in at least 5 countries to provide technical assistance in the analysis, interpretation (including triangulation with other data sources), and presentation of rapid mortality data for decision-making.
- Participate in capacity development activities to build analytic and report writing skills in government staff and other stakeholders.
- Participate in relevant meetings and workshops where rapid mortality data and analysis are presented and discussed.
Experience and Qualifications
- Minimum 8 years in public health and Masters or PhD degree in a relevant field (e.g., epidemiology, public health or similar)
- Demonstrated experience and expertise in epidemiology, including mortality data
- Experience in data management and analysis using software such as SAS, Stata, R, Epi Info
- Prior experience working in or with government health departments or Ministries of Health
- Experience in health information systems and/or data for program planning and implementation.
- Experience with public health projects including monitoring and surveillance
- Skills in data modeling techniques for projections and comparability of data desired
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Working knowledge in French desired
This is a consultant position with an anticipated level of effort of up to 36 days total over a 4-6 month period, maximum.
How to apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume via the Vital Strategies Career page on our website. The closing date for applications is April 9, 2021. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.