GiveDirectly (GD) aims to reshape international giving – and millions of lives – by allowing donors to provide capital grants directly to the world’s poorest. The Brookings Institution estimates that $70B of cash transfers would be required to eliminate the poverty gap; the aid sector currently spends $135B each year, much of which is allocated to evidence-free interventions. GiveDirectly wants to change that, establishing a benchmark, and in the process accelerate the end of extreme poverty. GiveDirectly has raised over $400M in revenue (>$150M in 2020 alone), while being recognized as one of the most innovative non-profit companies by Fast Company. The growing movement toward cash transfers and GD’s role in that movement have also been featured in This American Life, Foreign Affairs, The Economist, and Business Insider.
Cash transfers are at a potential inflection point: COVID-19 has amplified the challenges of bulkier in-kind aid models, and governments are deploying cash as their most common tool of assistance to vulnerable populations. GiveDirectly has an opportunity to leverage its strong track record (i.e. operations across 9 countries, >$250M transferred to over a million individuals, 13 randomized control trials), to both deliver immense impact and position itself as the premiere cash implementation vehicle globally.
We’re looking for exceptional talent to grow our collaborative, diverse team. Joining GiveDirectly provides the opportunity to work alongside individuals who come from 21 different countries and speak 69 different languages. We’re actively working toward an equitable and inclusive environment for all team members, and seek candidates who will bring diverse perspectives and experiences to our organization. We recruit from organizations across all industries: our team has hailed from sectors including start-ups, government, consultancies, investment banks, and nonprofits.
Across our global offices, our culture is candid, analytical, non-hierarchical, and fast-paced. We value ability, adaptability, and willingness to learn. We offer competitive salary and benefits, as well as performance-based bonuses.
About the Role
Our People and Compliance team provides support for our global team, which spans 9 countries and 3 continents. GiveDirectly is growing quickly, and we are looking for a dynamic Recruiter to help us find the people who will drive that growth. We hold a high bar and hire excellent team members – ones who align with our values and core competencies, come from diverse backgrounds and bring a track record of success from a wide range of experiences. In this role, you will:
- provide excellent support to hiring managers so they can find the talent they need efficiently by directly contributing to sourcing, screening, and pipeline coordination for a variety of roles – from fundraising to ops leadership to engineering – understanding the unique needs for each role and delivering on early stage processes
- obsess over the candidate experience, knowing that every interaction we have with a candidate is building our employer brand and shaping the mindsets of our future team mates
- know your way around the systems and tools you’ll need to streamline and operate at scale, and stay up-to-date on what’s new
- love data, making sure our systems are set up to properly collect it, and use it to proactively provide status updates, to drive decisions and shifts in strategy, and to lead us in continuous improvement.
- drive learning and accountability across our team around best practices for combating bias and fulfilling our commitment to diversity and inclusion in our recruitment and selection
- cultivate a global long-term talent pipeline – building relationships with passive candidates, as well as with partners and connectors who have access to strong talent pools
- 3+ years of experience as a recruiter, preferably in an international and high growth or startup environment
- Balance of authenticity and warmth with precision, structure, and attention to detail in written and verbal communications.
- Excellent judgment, making decisions quickly, but carefully.
- Experienced with gathering and analyzing both quantitative data and qualitative feedback to quickly iterate on recruitment processes and strategies with agility and a commitment to continuous improvement
- Highly organized – adept at managing multiple projects and stakeholders at once without dropping balls
- Intellectual curiosity and adaptability – look for learning opportunities everywhere, and are continuously thinking about how to apply what you’ve learned to your work
- Alignment with GiveDirectly Values:
- Recipients first. We prioritize recipient preferences over those of donors or ourselves.
- Team next. We do what’s best for organizational – not individual – success.
- Be proactively candid. We say what we believe, and are honest in sharing information.
- Create positive energy We strive to be a source – not drain – of energy for our colleagues.
- Think rigorously; act quickly. We are intellectually rigorous with a drive towards action – not debate.
- Accept reality. Propose solutions. We do not dwell on problems. We work actively to create solutions.
- Be productively ambitious. We take the risks to pursue industry-changing success, not incremental progress.
- Know yourself and grow. We recognize and accept our imperfections with a focus on growth.
*GD is committed to observing all local, national and international laws that protect children, vulnerable adults, and basic human rights of all. GD is committed to a policy of “zero tolerance for sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment (SEAH)” *and expects anyone who works for GD to uphold the protection and safeguarding of our recipients as a priority.**