The Norwegian Refugee Council believes innovation should happen close to the problem. We also believe that innovation is culture not only execution. With this in mind, we are currently building an ecosystem where NRC staff can solve problems to generate value in new meaningful ways for the people we aim to serve. One component is a new Innovation Garage in Nairobi, a resource to enable innovators to move faster, work smarter and innovate in a way that works for NRC’s culture and mandate.
To be successful you will need to have significant experience in the design and delivery of structured innovation processes, bringing ideas from conception to completion. You will have excellent communication and facilitation skills, and the ability to build and maintain strong working relationships with a diverse stakeholder audience. You will be a highly motivated self-starter with experience of working on a diverse range of issues. You will be comfortable working with a diverse set of peers and managing a team of technical experts. You will also be able to bring your agile project management experience to building a highly functioning team. You will believe that teamwork and collaboration is key.
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes shall guide our actions and relationships.
- Scoping of work: responsible for scoping the portfolio of projects for the Garage.
- Product development: responsible for managing a well performing team of innovators to deliver the Garage’s innovation portfolio.
- Networking and representation and advocacy: responsible for exploring possible collaboration opportunities with other actors (humanitarian, private sector, academia, donors), representing NRC in relevant fora.
- Conceptualising and testing new approaches: responsible for ensuring that new approaches are conceptualised and tested based on identified promising practice in NRC and from other actors.
- Documenting what works and sharing learning: responsible for putting in place a sound framework to measure progress of the Garage portfolio in line with NRC’s innovation approach.
- Technical support: responsible for ensuring that technical support is available for innovators developing projects in the Garage.
- Fundraising: Responsible for resource mobilisation in support of innovation in the Garage.
- Lead on the development and delivery of Innovation Garage strategy and operationalize its vision in consultation with the EaY Regional Management Team and HO
- Ensure a clear understanding within the organization the role and mutual benefits of engaging in the Innovation Garage
- Document innovation case studies from across the Region and share lessons from Innovation Garage widely within NRC
- Conduct networking, represent and communicate the work of the Innovation Garage with external stakeholders
- Training: provide colleagues at regional and country level with training in innovation best practice and NRC methodologies, processes and tools.
- Assistance: support regional and country office colleagues in the identification and design of innovative solutions and their further development, as appropriate.
- Portfolio management: manage the innovation portfolio of the region, providing periodic updates to senior management on status and progress.
These are skills, knowledge and experience that are important for effective performance.
- Relevant Qualification to Master’s Level in a relevant field
- Minimum 5 years of relevant Manager/Adviser experience Experience from leading scoping exercises
- Experience in product development using agile methodologies
- Experience in leading teams of technical experts
- Experience engaging and negotiating with a variety of stakeholders
- Able to represent organisation at a strategic level
- Knowledge of innovation best practice and methodologies
- Practical experience of scaling innovation in a challenging context
- Understanding of use of technology and digital tools in support of innovation
- The ability to code is an asset.
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal. French, Arabic and/or Spanish is an asset.
These are personal qualities that influence how successful people are in their job. NRC’s Competency Framework states 12 behavioural competencies and the following are essential for this position:
- Empowering and building trust
- Working with people
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Coping with change
- Driving process
This role is on a 6 month contract.
How to apply
Apply Here https://ekum.fa.em2.oraclecloud.com/hcmUI/CandidateExperience/en/sites/CX_1001/job/1297