Position: Science Communications Specialist
Location: Penang (Malaysia-HQ) or remote home-based in similar time zone
Application Deadline: 21 April 2021
Post level: Open to qualified national and international applicants
Type of contract: 1 year fixed term with possibility of renewal
Language(s) required: English (high proficiency in verbal and written communication)
WorldFish is a nonprofit research and innovation institution that creates, advances and translates scientific research on aquatic food systems into scalable solutions with transformational impact on human well-being and the environment. We envision an inclusive world of healthy, well-nourished people and a sustainable blue planet, now and in the future. We are part of One CGIAR, the world’s largest agricultural innovation network, whose mission is to “end hunger by 2030 through science to transform food, land and water systems under threat of climate change.”
Our research and innovation work spans climate change, food security and nutrition, sustainable fisheries and aquaculture, the blue economy and ocean governance, OneHealth, genetics and AgriTech, and it integrates evidence and perspectives on gender, youth and social inclusion. Our purpose is to accelerate the sustainable transformation of global food systems toward nutritious diets that sustain the health of people and the planet. Our research data, evidence and insights shape better practices, policies and investment decisions for sustainable development in low- and middle-income countries.
As a networked organization embedded in a larger innovation ecosystem of partners, including One CGIAR, our model of operation and beyond is guided by our values that stand for Learning, Excellence, Accountability and Diversity (LEAD). We have a global presence across 20 countries in Asia, Africa and the Pacific with 460 staff of 30 nationalities deployed where the greatest sustainable development challenges can be addressed through holistic aquatic food systems solutions.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are looking for an enthusiastic and results-driven Science Communication Specialist to join our busy and dynamic Communications and Marketing team at the WorldFish headquarters. If you are passionate about working with world-class scientists and engaging with different policymakers, donors and development practitioners to inform and influence the global sustainable development agenda – through scientific evidence and innovative solutions – on issues as diverse as climate change, sustainable ocean governance and inclusive blue growth, food and nutrition security, poverty and livelihoods, gender equality and environmental sustainability, then this is the job for you.
Your job is to translate scientific and technical research outputs into influential and accessible communications pieces that successfully engage various audiences of WorldFish, and advance critical evidence-based narratives related to the 2030 WorldFish Research and Innovation Strategy (link here) https://worldfishcenter.org/strategy-2030/ and our mission ‘to end hunger and advance the SGDs by 2030 through science and innovation to transform food, land and water systems with aquatic foods for healthier people and planet.” Day-to-day, you will be responsible for developing and delivering quality content featured on our main communications channels and platforms (print and digital) and work across teams to ensure messaging is consistent across our channels and brand. Longer-term projects will involve implementing best practices across WorldFish, experimenting with new content types on existing and new communication channels, as well as supporting the larger Communications and Marketing team to create compelling content and strategic communications campaigns for papers, special events, thought leadership, and WorldFish-wide initiatives.
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
You must have a strong foundation in all aspects of evidence-based communications for a science and/or development organization, reflected in your progressive experience with strategic planning, development and implementation of complex communication projects and activities, including high-level conferenced and global events. Moreover, you are a digital native with experience working both strategically and tactically with different digital tools – ideally applying omni-channel approaches. You love to think and plan strategically, and more so you to get going with effective execution. You understand what it takes to create messaging and design processes that engage target audiences. You can grasp complex concepts and structures quickly and can think on your feet. Excellent customer service and relations come naturally to you, and your top-notch interpersonal skills enable you to work well with different people, as well as inspire and motivate them. Most importantly, you are structured and well-organized, and able to handle multiple issues and shifting priorities with ease.
This is a challenging and exciting role for a stellar communicator with strong writing skills, excellent networking abilities and an incurable intellectual curiosity to always learn and push yourself outside of the comfort zone. You must be passionate about science and communications and have a knack for seizing opportunities. You have a proven ability to manage and coordinate multiple projects and people across different regions and time-zones, as well different functions and disciplines.
Your results-driven work ethic and your approach to constant learning and innovation sets the bar for others to deliver high-quality results time and again. You have a flair for bringing out the best in multidisciplinary teams operating in complex research programs and the multicultural setting of an international organization, and more importantly you know how to build trust, enable effective teamwork and exceed the expectations of key customers, audiences and partners of WorldFish.
To find out more about the role, please check out the full job description here https://cgiar-my.sharepoint.com/:b:/g/personal/a_abdul_cgiar_org/ESu3GXnfxVxFr0qiQgzlajQBVxX9bZu1t9aYCaWvqg87kQ?e=rKbtrM before applying.
This job might be for you if you have the following skills and qualifications:
- At least 5 years of professional experience in a communications role with a scientific research institution (public or private), international PR/media/Development Communications firm, development agency and/or science philanthropic foundation.
- Educated to Master’s degree level in Science Communications, Journalism, Marketing and/or scientific discipline that is relevant to WorldFish’s work.
- Genuine interest in and strong commitment to WorldFish’s vision, mission, value and objectives and the ability to professionally advocate our positions from a solid scientific base.
- Strong writing and editorial skills (in English) with evidence of proven ability to translate complex scientific work into accessible, engaging and impactful communications content for print and digital publication and distribution.
- Evidence of strong ability to digest, critically analyze and present complex scientific information clearly and concisely in a wide variety of formats for non-scientific audiences.
- Experience with and a strong understanding of how print and digital media work, including omni-channel marketing approaches to place and promote science in newspapers, TV, radio, podcasts, targeted e-marketing, social and digital media promotion (YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Flickr, Instagram), etc.
- Proven ability to connect individual communications activities, initiatives and products to higher-level organizational strategies and goals, and strategize at both macro and micro levels.
- High level of independence and can-do mentality, strong time and priority management, and an ability to make sound decisions in highly pressured environments.
- Proven ability to work well under pressure with diverse teams scattered across different time zones and geographies, and to manage complex content production processes and schedules.
- Experience with helping to coordinate and organize global and national events (virtually and face-to-face).
- Team player and natural collaborator with high levels of self-motivation, drive for excellence, attention to details, and used to working flexibly at a fast pace.
- Proven ability to manage competing priorities and projects, and work patiently and astutely with different groups of internal and external stakeholders in a multicultural, multilingual and virtual environment.
The position will be based in either Penang, Malaysia or remote home-based in similar time zone. Flexible working arrangements can be considered. Interviews are expected to be held by end of April 2021. Shortlisted candidate will be notified and expected to undergo a written assessment and attend a virtual interview. The successful candidate should be available to commence as soon as possible for an initial of one (1) year fixed term contract, with the possibility of contract renewal depending on performance and funding availability.
How to apply
Interested applicants are invited to submit the following information online here https://apply.workable.com/worldfish/j/375F8B009B/ latest by 21 April 2021:
- A cover letter of 2-page (max) description providing evidence of your suitability in terms of experience and science communications outputs.
- A current curriculum vitae.
- Portfolio of varied science communication content (for print and digital dissemination) you have already produced in current and prior experience.
- Names and contacts (telephone and e-mail addresses) of three professional referees who are familiar with your qualifications and work experience. Your nominated referees ideally should have persons from each of the following category: direct supervisor, internal peer and/or direct report. None of referees will be contacted without your permission and only if the role is offered.
Screening will start immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Whilst we appreciate all interest, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Our Gender, Diversity and Inclusion Commitment
WorldFish has seven offices across Asia, Africa and the Pacific, with more than 400 staff and 27 nationalities who contribute to a dynamic multicultural work environment.
WorldFish is committed to promoting a work environment where diversity and inclusion is valued and we seek to have gender balance in the organization. We aim to also seek balance across other diversity dimensions.
People in WorldFish are treated equally irrespective of gender, ethnicity/race, national or social origin, disability, religion, political affiliation, age, family size, marital status or any other form of personal identity.
We are an equal opportunities employer and strongly encourage qualified women and men from developing nations to apply.