Position Title : Senior Administrative Associate
Duty Station : Geneva, Switzerland
Classification : General Service Staff, Grade G6
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 12 April 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
The Office of Staff Security (OSS) is responsible for providing leadership on safety and security management to enable the most secure and most effective implementation and delivery of IOM programmes and activities.
Under the direct supervision of the Director of OSS and technical supervision of the Security Policy and Training Coordination Officer, this position is responsible for actively assisting the Director of OSS on financial monitoring and support the Security Policy and Training Coordination Officer in policy and training coordination matters. This position will be responsible in providing administrative support to the Director of OSS.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Budget Tracking and Monitoring
- Monitor expenditures and compare with approved budget; prepares adjustments, as necessary.
- Prepare monthly reports for the OSS Director, as required, of actual transactions with regards to eligibility of expense, correct WBS usage and complete supporting documents that complies with the Mission Security Funding Mechanism.
- Undertake research and coordinate with relevant budget and finance units with respect to budget reviews.
- Assist the OSS Director in the preparation and finalization of the OSS annual budget proposal, this includes drafting, preparing supporting documents, and conducting needs assessment with OSS MAC and OSS Regional Offices.
- Assist the OSS Director in reviewing and processing the payment for IOM’s contribution to the UNDSS Joint Finance Activities.
- Assist the OSS Director in ensuring that the Mission Security Funding Requests submitted by the OSS Administrative Assistant for approval is in compliance with IOM policies and procedures.
- Issue OSS WBS Element and Tracking Number to Mission funding requests approved by the Director of OSS or designate.
- Coordinate OSS financial matters with relevant Headquarters and MAC Units.
- Supervise the OSS Administrative Assistant based in MAC on any financial and budgetary issues requiring coordination.
- Assist the OSS Director in other finance-related tasks.
Executive Administrative Support
- Provide routine administrative support such as arrange and coordinate official meetings of the OSS Director or ask required by the OSS Director.
- Monitor e-mail correspondences and issues requiring response or action from the OSS Director. Regularly brief the OSS Director on urgent issues.
- Prepare briefings, trainings, or official meetings and provide administrative support to the OSS Director. If required by the OSS Director, draft meeting records.
- Prepare Travel Authorization form and coordinate travel requirements with relevant departments/units and missions (if applicable) for the Director of OSS. This includes ensuring timely submission of Travel Expense Claims.
- Establish and maintain relevant OSS records/files.
- Review UNSMIN rights requests and ensure that the required approvals are received.
- Provide UNSMIN rights access to requests approved by the Director or designate.
- Coordinate with UNDSS Safety and Security Management Section in managing UNSMIN rights within IOM, this includes coordinating escalated technical issues.
Policy and Coordination Assistance
- Assist in the development of clear understanding on UNSMS and IOM security policies, guidelines, and procedures.
- Assist the Security Policy and Training Coordination Officer in coordinating with relevant Headquarters departments on policy updates, as required.
- Coordinate policy-related inquiries with the Director and Security Policy and Training Coordination Officer.
Training and Learning Support
- Assist the Security Policy and Training Coordination Officer in developing and maintaining training databases, such as global participants list of UNSMS certified trainings, list of UN-certified IOM security trainings, etc.
- Assist in the administrative and logistics requirements of OSS HQ or OSS MAC-hosted trainings or learning events, in coordination with the OSS Director and Security Policy and Training Coordination Officer.
- Assist the Security Policy and Training Coordination Officer in the consolidation of training calendars, training needs, and other data for reports.
- Perform other such duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• University degree preferably in the field of International Relations, International Security, Political Science, Business Administration, or related field from an accredited academic institution with four years of relevant experience; or,
• Completed High school / Secondary school education with six years of relevant experience.
• Minimum four years of experience in administrative and finance support roles is required;
• Experience in security support roles is an advantage;
• Work experience with an intergovernmental organization, international non-governmental organization, or diplomatic missions is preferred.
• Excellent attention to details is required;
• Excellent communications skill is required;
• Knowledge on IOM internal policies, processes, and procedures related to administrative, procurement, and human resources is an advantage.
• Excellent writing skill in English is required;
• Experience in usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and experience in handling of web-based management system are required.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English and French is required (oral and written). Working knowledge on other official UN language is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internal candidates of the Organization will be considered as first-tier candidates.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Please be advised that this is a local position and as such only qualified Swiss nationals or candidates residing in Switzerland or neighbouring France will be considered.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 12 April 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 30.03.2021 to 12.04.2021
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2021 03 (GS) Senior Administrative Associate (G6) Geneva, Switzerland (56917942) Released
Posting: Posting NC56917943 (56917943) Released