iMMAP is an international not-for-profit non-governmental organization (NGO) that provides targeted information management support to partners responding to complex humanitarian and development challenges. For more than 17 years, we have promoted a measurable change in people’s lives through our core philosophy: better data leads to better decisions and, ultimately, better outcomes. Our expertise in data collection, analysis, and presentation has revolutionized the decision-making process for our diverse, multi-sectoral partners who seek enhanced coordination and sustainable solutions through information management. iMMAP’s mission is to be the first port of call for information and knowledge management expertise within the humanitarian and development community.
iMMAP was formed in late 1998 to lead the first internationally coordinated effort to combine information management, sociology, and geographic information system (GIS) technology to define the scourge of landmines and explosive remnants of war (ERW) and measure their impact on communities. In 2001 the United Nations asked iMMAP to take what it had learned and developed in addressing the ERW threat and apply this to coordinating humanitarian activities in Afghanistan. Since that time, iMMAP has deployed at the request of the United Nations and international donors to most major humanitarian crises on the global scene.
iMMAP has been actively operating in Afghanistan since 2010, providing solutions to the information management (IM) needs of the humanitarian community to support informed decision-making processes. iMMAP delivers IM products and services to key partners in humanitarian response and disaster risk reduction, including but not limited to humanitarian clusters, USAID implementing partners, UNOCHA, the Afghan Government, and civil society. We work towards ensuring that data consistency and standardization are integrated into all systems for more efficient and cost-effective emergency response by all humanitarian actors.
As part of iMMAP’s ongoing efforts to maintain support for the humanitarian partners in Afghanistan, we are seeking a Senior Developer to lead the development of two platforms, Humanitarian Spatial Data Center (HSDC) and ReportHub. The role requires knowledge of Python, Django, GeoNode, and other geospatial data harvesting and processing technologies, as well as cloud computing infrastructure and a modern web development stack. The Developer, under the supervision of the Information Systems Coordinator, will ensure the delivery and maintenance of the ReportHub and HSDC platforms to the partners according to iMMAP standards.
Note: This is a remote position that requires the candidate to adjust to the rythm of Afghanistan office in terms of hours (timezone) and working days (Sun-Thu). The candidate will be responsible for ensuring effective communication and collaboration with the team and partners while working remotely.This contract is for six months (31 Aug 2023) with the possibility of an extension (until 31 Dec 2023).
Description of Duties
- Work as part of the Information Systems (IS) team to ensure that the support requirements of iMMAP’s partners through ReportHub and HSDC are met quickly and efficiently.
- Integrate APIs and ensure interoperability with other platforms to improve the user experience of systems with the latest UI/UX design trends and technologies and incorporate them into the platforms.
- Create and maintain detailed documentation of the UI/UX design and development process, including design specifications, wireframes, and user flow diagrams.
- Coordinate with the Information Management (IM) team to identify/resolve issues and bugs.
- Support collaboration with the Information Management Working Group and partners to understand user requirements, identify user needs and pain points, and provide solutions to improve the user experience.
- Support the development team in testing scripts and debugging reports.
- Help establish and maintain the Agile PM method of SCRUM and work with PM tools such as Jira for planning, feedback, and issue tracking.
- Document and continuously update technical documentation of iMMAP applications.
- Lead software testing process to ensure that applications meet quality and performance standards.
- Continuously monitor trends on innovations for improving functionality, efficiency, and user experience of iMMAP ReportHub and HSDC.
- Work closely with the IM team to ensure that applications and tools are aligned with strategy and objectives.
- Perform any additional duties that the Information Systems Coordinator may assign.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest web development technologies, trends, and best practices.
- 5+ years’ experience as a Full Stack Developer.
- 5+ years of experience developing web applications.
- 5+ years of experience working with database administration management.
- Knowledge of multiple back-end languages and frameworks (e.g., C#, Java, Python)
- Experience building scalable data models and performing complex relational database queries using SQL (Oracle, Postgres, etc.).
- Knowledge of integration and web services technologies such as Amazon Web Service or other cloud-based computing solutions.
- Knowledge of Linux Server.
- Knowledge of Agile project management methodologies (e.g., Scrum).
- Knowledge of web mapping server solutions, especially using GeoServer or MapServer is desirable
- Knowledge of development or humanitarian sectors.
- Excellent communication, teamwork, and attention to detail
- Flexible and adaptable to any situation.
- Self-reliant and able to work independently.
- Professional working proficiency (written and verbal) in English.
- Willingness to work with people from a wide range of professional and personal backgrounds.
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in Computer Science or a related field. A first-level university degree in combination with 5 years of experience will be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Start of contract: ASAP
- Duration of contract: 6 month with possibility of extension
Personnel is expected to conduct itself in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and iMMAP’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all Countries.
iMMAP has zero-tolerance for sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, human trafficking, child abuse and exploitation. Any violations of these principles and policies will be treated as serious misconduct.
iMMAP is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background.
How to apply
Interested in this offer ? Please apply through: https://careers.immap.org/jobs/923