Position Title : Senior Programme Coordinator (IBM)
Duty Station : Ankara, Turkey
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P4
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 08 April 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- External female candidates:
- Candidate from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Fiji; Gabon; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Luxembourg; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states of IOM and female candidates.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and direct supervision of the Program Coordinator (Migration Management) and in close coordination with the Senior
Regional IBM (Immigration and Border Management) Specialist based in the International Organization for Migration (IOM) Regional Office (RO) in Vienna, Austria, the successful candidate will be responsible for the overall management of IBM portfolio of the Country Office (CO).
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Oversee the overall management, administration and implementation of the IBM Programme, and internal and external coordination of all activities implemented in the scope of the programme.
- Direct, supervise and guide programme staff in the implementation of activities as well as coordinate efforts of staff implementing inter-departmental projects within the CO.
- Provide training to the programme staff, including Integrated Border Management, Migration Management and Project Management.
- Provide strategic advice, analysis and input to his/her direct supervisor, CoM, relevant projects’ beneficiaries, and stakeholders on all issues that may arise in relation to activities implemented in the framework of the IBM programme.
- Advise direct supervisor and CoM on the daily programme implementation and take necessary steps to ensure efficient planning and management of human, financial and technical resources.
- Oversee the achievement of programme targets/outputs. Advise on the review of the workplans of projects, if needed, reflect any adjustments and take corrective action.
- Organize and implement projects’ evaluation and gathering of lessons learned, and participate in audit exercise (including those that occur after projects conclusion).
- Review and approve operational projects’ disbursements and receipts to ensure there are no unauthorized or irregular disbursements or misuse of funds.
- Explore project ideas and initiate intersectoral project proposals in coordination with the direct supervisor and respective CO’s departments to expand the IBM programme addressing relevant multisectoral dimension of border control including customs, border health services, green and blue borders, migrant smuggling, humanitarian border management, and generally associated institutional capacity building as relevant to the thematic area.
- Provide strategic and technical assistance on IBM-related matters to other offices and sub-offices of the CO as well as other IOM COs.
- Promote and strengthen IOM’s strategic cooperation on IBM with the Ministry of Interior, Ministry of Defense (Land Forces), Custom Services and Presidency as IBM focal point for the CO with relevant senior governmental authorities including the Presidency and maintain programmatic cooperation acting as IBM focal point with relevant border management agencies.
- In the scope of programme’s activities, promote cooperation of IOM with international community based in, as well as outside of Turkey, especially those entities related to area of the programme’s work such as the European Border and Coast Guard Agency (Frontex), European Asylum Support Office (EASO), the European Union Agency for Law Enforcement Training (CEPOL), the World Customs Organization (WCO), embassies as well as sister United Nations (UN) Agencies.
- Explore and initiate new IBM project ideas in order to continue existing and developing new projects in providing technical assistance to Turkish border management agencies, incorporating good practices and lessons learnt from ongoing initiatives.
- Participate in, and, as necessary, chair strategic and technical projects’ events, seminars, workshops and meetings.
- In close coordination with Project Development and Reporting Unit, lead preparation and submission of regular project reports in a timely manner according to IOM and donor formats, in close coordination with beneficiaries and IOM RO in Vienna.
- Ensure adequate information management on project-related activities including project awareness raising and visibility; regular project updates; summaries, press releases and other relevant materials, in coordination with the donor, IOM Turkey’s Public Information Officer and IOM Media and Communications Division (MCD) in IOM RO and Headquarters (HQ). Respond to any ad hoc information requests from the donor community, in close coordination with the respective governmental beneficiaries.
- Ensure systematic Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) of projects’ activities as well as proper utilization of standard operating procedures, manuals, guidance notes, M&E tools and methodologies in the implementation of projects’ activities and identify and implement improvements in projects’ delivery and coordination.
- Represent IOM and participate in national, international, inter-agency and government-led coordination mechanisms, meetings, relevant conferences, workshops, and policy and technical working groups to ensure proper coordination and representation of border/ migration management activities, if and when requested.
- Provide super user PRIMA support to the trained PRIMA users of the Migration Management department.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Security, Law, Political Science, Social Science, Human Rights, International Relations or a related field from an accredited academic institution with seven years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with nine years of relevant professional experience;
• Recognized certification in project management such as Project Management Professional(PMP), Projects in Controlled Environments (PRINCE2), EU Project Manager by the European Certification and Qualification Association (ECQA/ECEUPM) is an advantage.
• Experience in managing, implementing and monitoring migration and border management related projects;
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience in border management projects, from both operational and policy perspectives;
• Experience in managing projects funded by the EU is an advantage;
• Previous working experience in a diverse and challenging multicultural work environment;
• Previous working experience in Turkey or broader region, preferably in managing border management or emergency projects, is an advantage;
• Experience in liaising with government counterparts is advantageous;
• Working experience in immigration and (or) border management agency at the national level is an advantage.
• Knowledge of IOM and EU rules and regulations concerning procurement, reporting and public information.
• Knowledge of migration issues in Turkey.
• Willingness to travel frequently.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English and working knowledge in French or Spanish is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Turkish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 08 April 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 26.03.2021 to 08.04.2021
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2021 63 Senior Programme Coordinator (IBM) (P4) Ankara, Turkey (56913602) Released
Posting: Posting NC56913603 (56913603) Released