Position Title : Senior Project Assistant
Duty Station : Bangkok, Thailand
Classification: General Service Staff (G5,THB 74,905.75 per month)
Type of Appointment : Special Short-Term Contract, Initial 6 months with possibility of extension
Desired Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 07 April 2021
Reference Code : SVN006/2021
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
1. ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT AND SCOPE:
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Programme Assistant, and the overall supervision of Programme Coordinator (Migrant Assistance and Counter-Trafficking Unit), the Senior Project Assistant will be responsible for supporting implementation and monitoring of migrant assistance and counter-trafficking activities in Thailand.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
The successful candidate will have the following duties and responsibilities:
- Following direction provided by the Programme Coordinator and Senior Programme Assistant, support the planning and implementation of select migrant assistance and counter-trafficking activities in Thailand;
- Monitor the implementation of activities in line with agreed project documents, budgets, timelines, indicators, results and other project requirements and propose adjustments as necessary;
- Following direction provided by the Programme Coordinator and Senior Programme Assistant, support in providing guidance and monitoring support to junior staff and colleagues in the field, to ensure that all activities are conducted in accordance with project work plans and that field staff are supported when encountering any challenges in implementation. Support in overseeing the work of other staff, consultants and interns as assigned;
- Support the development of reports on project implementation by providing inputs on activities conducted in Thailand in accordance with donor requirements;
- Support in maintaining relationships with Royal Thai Government (RTG) counterparts, project partners, private sector partners, UN agencies, NGOs, community-based organizations and any other key stakeholders;
- Liaise with RTG counterparts, local authorities, private sector counterparts, NGOs and community-based organizations to ensure smooth implementation of project activities;
- Provide support to the organization and coordination of project activities and events, such as capacity building workshops and meetings;
- Assist in monitoring RTG policy as it relates to project activities, and provide updates on important policy developments to project staff;
- As required by supervisor, undertake travel duty within Thailand, in order to monitor and support activities undertaken in the field;
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
2. DESIRABLE COMPETENCIES:
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:**
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
3. EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- University degree in law, international relations, political science, social science, or a related field
- At least 3 years’ experience working on protection and assistance of vulnerable populations and/or counter-trafficking;
- Sound knowledge of programme implementation and project monitoring;
- Proven understanding of migration dynamics in Thailand and of the vulnerabilities experienced by migrant populations and victims of trafficking;
- Experience in coordinating and working with relevant government counterparts;
- Experience of working with the private sector will be considered an asset.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to maintain trust and good working relationship with counterparts;
- Team-oriented, but with capacity to work independently;
- Personal commitment, efficiency, and flexibility;
- Strong organizational and time management skills, and ability to deliver under tight timelines;
- Excellent analytical abilities;
- Good writing, communication and negotiation skills;
- Fully computer literate.
Required: Fluency in English and Thai (written and oral).
Desirable: Working knowledge of Burmese, Khmer or Lao.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighboring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighboring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
Staff members selected for a VN/SVN in his or her same category at one grade higher than his or her personal grade shall be appointed at the advertised grade. A staff member selected for a VN/SVN to a position which is two grades higher than the staff member’s current grade, will be appointed at the interim grade, and six months later at the higher grade.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications along with a duly completed IOM Personal History Form to the IOM Bangkok Human Resources Unit at e-mail [email protected] by April 07, 2021 at the latest. The form can be downloaded from http://thailand.iom.int/sites/default/files/Recruitment/IOM%20Personal%2… Kindly indicate the reference code SVN006/2021 followed by your full name in the subject line.**
Applications should include: a) a cover letter, indicating the dates of availability; b) a curriculum vitae; c) a duly completed IOM Personal History Form (may be downloaded from http://thailand.iom.int/);
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.