Equal Access International (EAI) – a non-governmental organization (NGO) headquartered in Washington, D.C.– partners with communities around the world to co-create sustainable solutions utilizing community engagement and participatory media and technology. With funding from bi-laterals, multi-laterals, foundations, and individual donors, EAI has a 20-year track record implementing social change projects around the world and currently implements through 12 country programs.
EAI seeks a Technical Advisor (TA) to lead expansion and innovation around existing, planned, and new activities, and promote EAI’s thought leadership in youth and economic empowerment. The TA is responsible for meeting quarterly business development targets and expanding EAI within existing and into new Practice Areas (PA). The TA is responsible for driving and achieving significant revenue growth, travelling to the field as required, and supporting field-based teams in developing high-quality, high-impact programming. The TA will represent the organization with existing and potential clients, partners, and funders at workshops, conferences, and other public fora, as well as support research and external communications. This position will report to the Executive Vice President (EVP), work closely with EAI’s PA Directors and Business Development Unit (BDU), and liaise with EAI’s field-based and other technical headquarters staff, the Program Management Unit (PMU), and Central Services. This position has no direct reports.
Successful candidates should have strong technical experience and lead resource mobilization in positive youth development, entrepreneurship, workforce development, and resilience programming in Africa and Asia. Qualified applicants will have experience successfully leading youth-focused prime bids for US government and other donors, ideally including USAID YouthPower programming. He/she will have strong writing, capacity building, research, and donor engagement experience in the areas of youth, workforce development, entrepreneurship, education, livelihoods, economic development, life skills, and public-private partnerships, particularly in the context of peacebuilding and countering violent extremism (CVE) programming.
The ideal candidate will be hardworking and highly motivated with significant experience leading international development programs and departments focused on youth economic empowerment, entrepreneurship, and workforce development. This person is comfortable working in a variety of settings, possesses a curiosity for innovation and new creative program design, and has a proven record in leading successful business development. The ability to establish rapport and achieve goals with a range of internal and external parties is vital.
Business Development (BD)
· Responsible for meeting individual quarterly revenue targets and regularly bringing in new and repeat business, particularly with the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), the Department of State, other U.S. government agencies and departments, and non-US government donors (e.g. the UK Government, other bilaterals, select foundations, and others).
· Work in close collaboration with the BDU to identify, track, and prioritize funding opportunities and to lead and win competitive procurements, focusing on proposal design, strategy, partnering, monitoring & evaluation (M&E), recruitment, and other facets of the proposal process in strict adherence to EAI’s BD processes. This will include the use of established design tools, such as logical frameworks, and support to costing and pricing.
· Lead and write winning proposals and lead winning capture exercises in close collaboration with the BDU.
Practice Area Expansion
· Strategically expand EAI within existing and into new PAs, focusing on strategy, staffing, programming, monitoring and evaluation (M&E), and organizational methodologies.
· Contribute significantly to organizational and country strategic planning processes.
· Produce and support high quality research and deliverables that demonstrate impact and advance the program evidence base of EAI’s programming and approaches.
· Empower a culture of learning and innovation at all levels, including identifying cross-program and cross-region synergies and opportunities for learning and collaboration.
· Advise the EVP and PA Directors on existing PA projects and strategies.
· Responsible for supporting all projects assigned, working closely with the PMU and PA Directors.
· Ensure effective and efficient program implementation and actively identify and direct the necessary technical resources (i.e. staff, consultants, training, etc.) required for consistent high-quality implementation.
Thought Leadership/Public Outreach
· Represent EAI externally by attending and presenting at conferences, panels, workshops, and other domestic and international fora; by writing in various technical publications; and through social media.
· Bachelor’s degree in relevant technical competency area or equivalent additional work experience.
· At least 10 years’ experience in international development, including at least 5 years of business development experience and 3 years in a field-based leadership position managing projects funded by USAID or other bi-lateral or multilateral organizations or major foundations.
· Significant experience winning new business, including leading and writing winning multi-year prime bids, particularly with USAID, the Department of State, other U.S. government agencies and departments, and non-US government donors (UN, UK Government, the EU, SIDA, and others).
· Demonstrated experience with strategy development and execution, technical leadership, M&E, and research in youth, economic empowerment, and CVE.
· Experience in managing multiple types of donor agreements, including, but not limited to, contracts, grants, and cooperative agreements.
· Strong financial, administrative, and budget management experience.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills in English to effectively present information, respond to questions, and prepare written reports in a professional and timely manner.
· Proven leadership skills and ability to lead teams in diverse geographies, often remotely.
· Ability to create and implement clear, ambitious strategic plans.
· Problem solving and critical thinking skills; ability to break down complex problems.
· Strong communicator, both written and oral. Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills.
· Excellent interpersonal communication skills – experience in interfacing with major strategic partners, government ministries, key multilateral agencies, and local staff.
· Ability to work flexibly, outside of normal office hours, and in difficult conditions.
· Strong attention to detail, highly motivated and ability to meet deadlines and prioritize tasks.
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office Applications (Word/Excel/PowerPoint/Outlook) and email.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
This position is based at EAI’s Washington, DC office with up to 20% travel, sometimes in demanding physical and/or security situations. This job operates in an office setting in an open plan environment and may require sitting for long periods of time. The open plan environment consists of larger open spaces with less walls, offices, or rooms. There can be periods of activity and talking amongst other employees that can be seen or heard more frequently in an open plan environment.
Candidates must be legally eligible to work in the U.S. EAI does not provide sponsorship.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER/REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS
EAI is an equal opportunity employer. EAI welcomes and supports a diverse, inclusive work environment. As such, our commitment is to promote equal employment opportunities (EEO) for all employees and applicants seeking employment. EAI makes employment decisions based on organizational needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, personal appearance, military status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation, educational status, unemployment status, place of residence or business, source of income, or reproductive health decision making or any other protected classifications, activities, or conditions as required by federal, state and local laws. Additionally, harassment or discrimination based on these characteristics will not be tolerated at EAI. To perform the essential functions of this position, reasonable accommodations are available to qualified individuals with disabilities and qualified individuals who have limitations due to pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or medical related condition.
How to apply
Please visit https://equalaccess.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=42 to submit your application.