Established in 1946, the American Institutes for Research (AIR) is one of the world’s largest behavioral and social science research and evaluation organizations. Our mission is to generate and use rigorous evidence that contributes to a better, more equitable world. AIR works with federal, state, and local government agencies, philanthropies and other organizations to conduct research and evaluation and provide technical assistance in the areas of education, health and workforce development, in the U.S. and abroad.
AIR’s International Development Division (IDD) strives to improve the quality of life in developing countries by using rigorous research and evaluation to enhance education and social development. We work across a wide range of topics including workforce development, agriculture/food/nutrition, early childhood development, education, refugees and migration, social protection, water/sanitation/infrastructure, and women’s empowerment in Africa, Asia, the Caribbean, Europe, Central and Latin America as well as the Middle East. The IDD generates policy-relevant evidence through rigorous monitoring, evaluations, and research; helps improve program design through continuous learning and adaptation; and works with local organizations and governments to build sustainable solutions based on evidence.
IDD is currently seeking a Technical Project Specialist responsible for managing key deliverables and relationships with funder, subawardees, consultants, and providing thought leadership to the education technical work of USAID projects in the Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) region. This position will liaise with the international project team and AIR’s home office personnel (including contracts and finance) to ensure smooth functioning of the project’s administrative and technical work.
The Technical Project Specialist will report to the Project Director and the responsibilities will include:
- Lead the project’s knowledge translation work including the design of products and workshops and coordination with the team
- Provide technical assistance to the design and implementation of the project’s virtual learning platforms, online learning sessions and regional courses
- Provide technical guidance and oversight to the work of project associates and assistants
- Supervise the AIR project associate or assistant’s support on the day-to-day management tasks
- Serve as a key point of contact with the client and within AIR for the project, coordinating with contracts, finance and HR for project compliance as needed
- Track project timelines, budget, objectives, and deliverables from AIR as well as from the sub awardees
- Develop and regularly monitor project budget with the project’s assigned financial analyst, and ensure project stays within its approved budget limits
- Support subawardees with their budgets and budget monitoring to ensure that all budgets are on track
- Draft, and implement workplans, and ensure that activities adhere to project timelines and are coordinated with the project initiative, funder, and team as needed
- Anticipate and plan technical assistance needs and develop and implement strategies to address them
- Draft quarterly reports for funder with the sub awardee’s information and the Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) indicators
- Serve as a point of contact for the project’s subawardees and maintain a strong relationship between the various partners
- Master’s degree, or higher, in a discipline related to education, business management or international development preferred
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in project management functions
- Experience in project management in education related fields in both domestic and developing countries
- Experience leading knowledge translation and communications work in the field of education
- Experience working in education in LAC preferred
- Experience with USAID contracts, cooperative agreements, and/or grants, along with knowledge of USAID ADS, FAR, AIDAR and other USG international regulations
- Excellent organizational skills, including attention to detail, ability to prioritize and multi-task, and ability to work under and adhere to tight deadlines
- Excellent cross-cultural and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to translate complex technical language and ideas into a format easily comprehensible to non-technical audiences
- Experience designing and maintaining virtual learning platforms
- EdTech skills highly desirable
- Proven ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Fluency in English and Spanish is required; French ability is a strong plus
- Ability to travel (up to 20 percent time) once conditions allow for that
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability.
AIR adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
How to apply
Use the following link to apply: