Practical Action is an Innovative International Development Organization putting ingenious ideas to work so people in poverty can change their world. Practical Action has over 50 years of expertise in Africa, Asia and Latin America, with the East Africa Headquarters’ office based in Nairobi- Kenya. We have a strong heritage and track record of bringing communities and experts together to find practical, sustainable solutions which work for both people and the planet; solutions that enable people to meet their needs and lead dignified lives. Technology features in everything we do. We partner with people whose lives are transformed by these efforts and ensure local ownership and solutions that work in the longer term, without us.
Background of the consultancy assignment
As part of our EWASSA Project in Turkana County, Practical Action has been working with communities to enable them have increased access to safe water and hygiene products necessary to limit the spread of the diseases. Practical Action is not only drilling water for domestic purposes but also for multiple use and therefore it brings in the idea of Community Enterprise Development to help the communities access income. the organization plans to train the communities on Soap Making ( including bar, powder and liquid soap).With the above background, PA is seeking a qualified consultant to undertake a training on soap making in two communities, i.e. Nanyangakipi in Turkana Central and Nakabaran in Loima.
Purpose of the training
The main objective of the soap making training is to help the communities acquire the soap making skills to earn income in order to improve their livelihood. A secondary objective is to help the communities improve hygiene and sanitation within their communities.
Scope of work
- Conducting 3 days on site trainings in the two communities
- Creation of the methodology and training/workshop schedule
- Conduct the evaluation of the training/workshop;
- Work with the project officer to produce a report on the conducted trainings
The training is expected to cover the following areas:
- Basic chemistry of soap making
- Materials, ingredients and equipment needed for soap making
- Safety aspects of working with the ingredients
- The most effective oils and butters for use in soap making
- How to formulate your own soap recipes
- Soap coloring and scenting
- Alternative liquids in soap making and how to use them
- Packaging of solid, liquid and powder soap
- Marketing of the manufactured soap
The following will be the expected deliverables:
- Successful facilitation of the two trainings
- Practical demonstration of the soap making process and the end product
- Successful demonstration by the trainees to ascertain their ability
- Technical advice and support to participants during the training/workshop
- Submission of the final training report (produced together with the project officer)
Period of Performance
Eight (8) working days (dates to be confirmed).
Administrative and logistical support
The Trainer will report to the Area Coordinator-North Rift. The project team will provide day to day support during the assignment. In order to support the actualization of this assignment within stipulated timelines, Practical Action will also provide the following:
- All necessary program documents
- Logistical support to the training venues to ensure that the training is undertaken successfully
- Any other requested field support subject to approval by the Area Coordinator- North Rift.
Consultant (s) Requirements
a) Completed basic course in soap making
b) Capacity to prepare and share a training report
c) Experience working in similar assignments including demonstrable experience with soap making and its marketing
d) Knowledge on regulatory requirements in soap making
e) Fluency in both written and spoken English and Kiswahili is mandatory
f) Literacy in local language is highly preferred
How to apply
Applications/proposals should be addressed to [email protected] with subject line “Training of community groups on soap making’’ so as to reach Practical Action on or before 28th March, 2021.
At Practical Action, we treat all applications for employment on their merits and do not take into consideration any factors that are not relevant to the job such as disability, race, age, religion, gender, gender reassignment or sexual orientation.
We are committed to safeguarding and protecting children and vulnerable adults and as such candidates will be subject to pre-employment checks.
The successful applicant must have the pre-existing right to both live and work in Kenya.