Role & Responsibilities
Lead the Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH) team in Leer, designing and implementing WASH services in Leer County. Major responsibilities include: assessing WASH needs; designing projects; contributing to proposal preparation; managing project implementation; reporting on objectives, timeframe, and budget; providing technical support and line-management to staff; ensuring quality standards are met; and liaising with local authorities and other stakeholders.
Medair’s goal in Leer County is to reduce morbidity and mortality in vulnerable populations by providing emergency psychosocial support, health, nutrition and WASH (water, sanitation and hygiene) services and improving the psychosocial well-being of affected populations.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Leer, South Sudan with travel to project implementation sites within Leer County.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
June 2021. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
WASH Project Management
- Develop & implement an effective WASH strategy, setting clear objectives & indicators.
- Develop new proposals including log frame, human resource need, budget and BoQs.
- Manage the assigned WASH projects to meet the project objectives and activities within budget and allotted timeframe, particularly factoring in seasonal access limitations.
- Continuously monitor and supervise WASH activities, overseeing the technical design, execution and evaluation of progress through outputs and impacts using both quantitative and qualitative data.
- Represent Medair at coordination meetings and through relationships with external partners (eg community leaders, government officials, UN agencies, and other NGOs).
Technical Design & Oversight
- Ensure the project is in line with Sphere standard and other international standards.
- Ensure protection, AAP, people with disability & gender are mainstreamed in the WASH project implementation. Adapt and evaluate appropriate (such as culturally acceptable, environmental friendly, and cost effective) technologies to achieve project goals and maximize impact.
- Line manage WASH team: providing support, constructive feedback, coaching.
- Conduct formal staff appraisals and performance monitoring.
- Lead regular WASH team meetings, reviewing project progress and planning.
- Provide updates on the broader humanitarian and political context.
- Recruit new staff (with support from HR and Advisor) and provide training as needed.
- Ensuring Medair HR policies are followed and integrate Medair values into regular activities.
- Assess the cost of activities concerning scope, schedule and logistics to plan and forecast spending.
- Manage the WASH budget, tracking expenditure against planned.
- Authorization for procurement of items. Provide input to monthly Cash Needs Forecast, to ensure adequate cash reserves are kept in the field to cover foreseen and unforeseen activities.
Communication and Coordination
- Develop and maintain appropriate, regular, transparent and supportive communication structures with the assigned WASH team, Medair in-country and GSO WASH managers and advisors and other relevant stakeholders to ensure good cooperation and partnerships.
- Participate in state and county level WASH coordination meetings, Medair internal training, and other working groups or meetings, representing Medair and feedback to the WASH staff and field managers.
- Develop procurement plans at the start of the project cycle to forecast procurement needs.
- Coordinate with support and logistics managers to facilitate procurement of supplies in Juba, Nairobi, or GSO. Note: most supplies cannot be procured locally and are delivered via air-transport.
- Coordinate, request, and report utilization of WASH NFIs from the WASH core pipeline when needed.
- Ensure adequate stock of critical supplies, particularly in seasonal access limitations (wet season).
- Support the security focal person with security management when needed.
- Ensure the WASH team adheres to standard operating procedures Medair has in place.
- Promote and use the Medair intranet, Medair people, and other operating procedures, ensuring that all standardised formats are used, and guidelines are followed.
- Ensure WASH projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country, and international standards i.e. Sphere and HAP standards.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in a WASH-related field (eg.civil engineering, mechanical engineering, hydraulic engineering, environmental engineering, public health, hydrogeology/hydrology).
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years post-qualification professional experience in a relevant field.
- Management experience of WASH project in emergency/ humanitarian setting.
- 2 years’ experience working in a WASH programme in an emergency context desirable.
- Knowledge and experience of WASH principles and management.
How to apply
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
a) Medair organisational values
b) Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices.
c) Key Profiles & Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
d) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair page.
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.