- Job number: SRH05635
- Status: Employee
- Position: Missions
- Country: Chad
- Contract Type: Short term contract
What do we do …
Desired start date: 01/03/2024
Duration of the mission: 12 months
SOLIDARITES INTERNATIONAL (SI) is an international humanitarian aid association which, for more than 40 years, has provided relief to populations victims of armed conflicts and natural disasters by responding to vital needs, drinking, eating and shelter. Particularly committed to the fight against diseases linked to unsafe water, the leading cause of death in the world, SI implements through its interventions expertise in the field of access to drinking water, sanitation and promotion hygiene but also in the essential aspect of food security and means of existence. Present in more than 20 countries, the SI teams – 2,500 people in total, made up of expatriates, national staff, permanent staff at headquarters, a few volunteers, etc. – intervene with professionalism and commitment while respecting cultures.
The coordination team for the Solidarités International (SI) mission in Chad and Cameroon is based in Yaoundé. It is made up of a country director, program coordination (SERA coordinator and manager), an administration, HR and finance department (coordinator, deputies, assistant), a logistics department (coordinator, assistant and manager), a grant manager and a reporting and communication manager. SI Chad/Cameroon also has three field coordinators (CT). This recruitment notice concerns the position of assistant to the program coordinator, in order to strengthen coordination.
SI Chad/Cameroon is present in the regions of Logone Oriental, Lac, Ouaddaï and Sila, in Chad, in the Far North (EN) of Cameroon, in N’Djamena and in Yaoundé. The mission receives humanitarian (ECHO and CDCS) and development (AFD) funds. It is currently carrying out emergency assistance projects and strengthening livelihoods and access to water, hygiene and sanitation. It integrates a strong dimension of empowerment and strengthening of civil society organizations and the resilience of the beneficiaries of its projects. In view of the needs identified, the mission is working to consolidate its positioning in the Far North of Cameroon and in the Lake, South and East regions of Chad. At the same time, monitoring is maintained in the two countries where there are multiple humanitarian situations.
Bases and sub-bases: 8 including 6 operational, Makary, Maroua, Goré, Baga Sola, Adré and Goz Beïda.
Number of national employees: 90.
Number of international employees: 13.
2023 budget: approximately 4.5 million euros.
Main objective :
The deputy program coordinator assists the program coordinator in achieving the objectives defined in the project proposals on all operational bases, and guarantees the proper implementation of the operational strategy of the activities.
General objectives of the position:
• Participate in monitoring the quality of the programs implemented, through operational monitoring, review of results and context monitoring tools and compliance with defined national policies.
• Participate in improving the quality of internal and external reporting of projects/activities.
• Participate in coordination meetings and technical groups between stakeholders (NGO, UN, government, donors) and, where applicable, consortium meetings.
• Participate in the development of the IS programmatic strategy in Chad and Cameroon (analysis of the humanitarian environment, conduct of diagnostics and targeted evaluations, capitalization on previous projects, search for operational partnerships) and contribute to the drafting of project proposals for donors.
Ensure programmatic representation of the Chad/Cameroon SI mission in N’Djamena, increase participation and visibility in cluster meetings and technical working groups.
• Participate in the technical reinforcement of the mission, via the capitalization of information and support to project managers.
• Ensure accompanying visits to colleagues in charge of activities in the six operational bases of the mission.
Priorities for the first 2/3 months:
Support the program coordinator in supporting project managers for better control of the project cycle and monitoring tools.
• In N’Djamena, actively participate in coordination with other actors and partners, in the SI intervention sectors, mainly EHA and SAME; plan interventions along the continuum from emergency to development.
Master in International Development, Project Management, Agronomy, EHA or equivalent
Experiences and technical skills:
– Project management, ideally in SAME and/or EHA;
– Relational, coordination and networking skills;
– Functional management, ability to unite.
– Writing and editing, capitalization of data;
– Knowledge of transversal protection;
– Autonomy and willingness to travel.
Languages: French spoken and written. Fluency in English and/or Arabic is an asset.
SI will offer you the following conditions
A salaried position: Depending on experience, from EUR 2420 gross per month (2250 base salary + 10% annual leave compensation paid monthly) and a monthly Per Diem of USD 600.
SI also covers housing costs and travel costs between the expatriate’s home country and the duty station.
Breaks: During the mission, a system of alternation between work and leave is put in place for 7 working days every three months (with USD 850 allocated by Solidarités International). To these break periods is added one additional day of rest per month worked.
Social and medical coverage: Expatriates benefit from insurance that reimburses all health costs (including medical and surgical costs, dental and ophthalmological care, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. The costs of vaccination and essential anti-malaria treatment are reimbursed.
LIVING CONDITIONS :
- Single, comfortable room in the guest house, with 24/7 electricity.
- Internet and telephone network available
- Restaurants and international food available
The assistant program coordinator is based in N’Djamena where conditions are comfortable. The guest house is located in the same building as the office – a solid, secure, somewhat dilapidated building. This is an apartment with hot water, air conditioning, Internet, electricity.
The city of N’Djamena offers leisure opportunities (gyms, bars, restaurants, cultural institute, walking area along the river, etc.) and there is a large expatriate community there.
One of the specificities of this assistant position is its remote location from the program coordinator, based in Yaoundé. All members of the coordination travel regularly to the different IS bases. The Assistant Program Coordinator is also expected to travel frequently.
The context in SI’s regions of intervention in Chad and Cameroon is characterized by the presence of organized armed groups, clashes with security forces, intercommunity conflicts and/or acts of predation. Humanitarian actors have not, to date, been targeted by attacks. For all trips to the field, in the localities of intervention, security checks must be precise and meticulous, and the means of communication efficient.
• The city of N’Djamena is generally known to be calm. The political context, in transition, on the one hand, and acts of urban crime noted in certain neighborhoods, on the other hand, require us to remain vigilant when traveling.
How to apply
Do you recognize yourself in this description?
If so, send us your CV and Cover Letter.
Applications containing CVs only will not be considered.
SI reserves the right to close a recruitment before the deadline of the advertisement. Thank you for your understanding.
And to learn more about Solidarités International: www.solidarites.org
Solidarités International (SI) is determined to prevent and combat any type of abuse – any act of sexual exploitation, abuse and/or harassment (SEAH) against members of beneficiary communities or its collaborators and collaborators, harm to persons and/or property, fraud, corruption, undeclared conflict of interest, financing of activities violating human rights – which could be perpetrated within the framework of its interventions. SI has zero tolerance for any type of abuse, particularly acts of SEAH.
Solidarités International is a fair employer that fights all forms of discrimination. SI will never ask for any compensation for participating in a recruitment process.
Solidarités International (SI) is determined to prevent and fight all type of abuse – all act of exploitation, abuse and/or sexual harassment (SEAH) against members of beneficiary communities or collaborators, fraud, corruption, violation of persons and/or property, funding of activities harmful to human rights – that could be perpetrated in the frame of its interventions. SI implements a zero-tolerance policy regarding acts of abuse, notably acts of SEAH.
Solidarités International is an equitable employer committed to find all forms of discrimination. SI will ever ask for any remuneration to take part in a recruitment process.